Sunday, November 20, 2011

Twenty years later....

Twenty years... twenty years ago, I married my best friend.  Twenty years ago, I had dreams, hopes , pictures of a life that was completely different of what it is now. When you are newly married, you just "know" that your life will be a certain way. You know... that family on tv that has the perfect kids... perfect house...perfect weather all the time to do all your perfect little family activities. Families are always together on holidays, they support each other through everything.

Twenty years has instead been an education in the real world. In the real world, you don't get to choose how many children you will have. In twenty years , my husband and I have been blessed with six children, four of which live in heaven. I miscarried three precious angels, gave birth to a beautiful daughter who was born still. I almost died giving birth to her. To add insult to injury, my family of origin decided that sticking around was too much after the death of my daughter, leaving us alone. I have had numerous health issues, too many to count. This last one that has knocked me down, now on disability struggling each day.

But, through all of this .....my husband, my friend has never left my side. We have weathered every storm together and come out stronger and better. This isn't saying we haven't struggled because we have. We believe in each other though and believe in our marriage. We want to make this work. We have had help....friends who have helped guide us... helped strengthen us, helped us realize that we are the beginning of a new family.

So twenty years later.... my husband and I are the beginning...and we will continue to build upon our family. Our kids are amazing children...our son is an adult, heading off to college. Our daughter is still in school , just a three short years off from college. They will grow, have their own families.. and so on....

Happy Anniversary to my husband of 20 years, my best friend of 26 years and here is to a lifetime of love.




5 comments:

can_ravens said...

damn right 20 yrs. we alway have each others back!!!!! love you so much, more then you will ever know

TammyVitale said...

We celebrated 28 years on Valentine's. This is my 2nd marriage and is as good as my first was bad (my training grounds I guess). I'm at grandkids stage - 2 from my oldest. My youngest, 30, is finally getting his feet under him and blossoming. Life is good in the overarch...sometimes the minutes not so much. Lovely story - brought tears to my eyes. I love the love here!

Rita said...

Congratulations on your 20 years with your best friend! Who could ask for more. :):)

loribeth said...

Congratulations, and wishing you many, many more. : )

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Love you both so much! 20 big ones :) Wow. Crazy how fast it goes, isn't it? Look at you two in that wedding photo -- omg -- who are those two people? I have moments of that looking at photos of our wedding here -- who were they? So naive! The real world education... yes, indeed. Geesh, I just love you much! And ya know, if that's the case, then baby you have like 10 PhDs at this point or something! We all should be at your feet learning! xoxoxoxo