Sunday, November 13, 2011

AEDM November 13

Awesome. Fantabulous. Last night was girl's night with my daughter... typically filled with fun foods, Gilmore Girls, or some fun movie. We had the food, had the Gilmore but halfway through I was feeling the need to paint. Told Abby and away we went to the sunroom, aka Mom's art room. And the art poured out of us...so many laughs, so much fun...I love my time with kids.


Abby spent time altering a wood craft that I had picked up at goodwill. I decided to work on my Crohn's altered book. I started doing this a year ago when I was so frustrated with this disease. I, foolishly, thought that I would be given some medicine and be sent on my way. Little did I know about this journey, the questions, the highs and lows, the debilitating nature of the disease, the constant trips to hospital, doctors... and on and on. I am still working on gaining remission. I seem to have stumped the doctors both locally and at the mayo.  The crohn's had moved into my joints at a very fast rate putting me into a wheelchair on some days.. Which brings us to the altered book. Last night I added another page but I have decided to post what I have so far. I must add, the title came from my son. It was blank and Corey came home from work and looked at my pages. He looked at me and gave it the title... I was laughing so hard. Dark humor runs rampant in this house.
Early on , when symptoms get sprouting

no caption needed... LOL
so many different meds, different side effects

                   
The most recent page...this is sort of what I am feeling right now.. so many doors, wishing that the Hope door would swing open and give me a real glimmer..someday.







After we were done with our crafts, gesso'ing a few more art journals... Abby looked at me and asked if she could do the the door. I should explain. The sunroom we have is finished with this ugly door that we have yet to replace. Last year, I was bored and started painting on it...my husband just laughed which of course gave me free reign to continue * cue evil laugh*  Abby decided maybe we should paint it for christmas... so we did. As it dries, we will add different fun christmas-y things to it. Abby baked chocolate chip cookies.. we sat back and admired our work... what an incredibly fun night.,

6 comments:

Carolyn Dube said...

What an amazing night you had! Love the title of your journal!

Christine said...

Thanks Carolyn!!

Gwen said...

I am sure that the 'hope'door will open soon. A journal is good therapy I should think...I know a little of Crohns disease, not exactly a laugh a minute. Keep your chin up. My friend had it, and she seems to have improved quite a bit!
Gwen xx

Kelly said...

What an amazing night! I love the way that you are able to use the altered book to help you reflect on your health concerns. Art can be so cathartic!

Tracey FK said...

sounds like an amazing fun night and just what you needed... nothing beats time well spent with our kids and being creative... great post

TammyVitale said...

The hope door may not be all the way open yet, but the joy door surely is! And I've found art journaling a great way to deal with ups and downs - there is something about making things concrete on the page that allows me to release them and move on to whatever is next. Peace on your journey!