Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Right where I am 10 years later.....

The other day, while out with my family, I felt the need for a donut. Simple request. Just craved a donut, specifically a blueberry glazed. After four different stores, and a realization that they no longer carry this brand in the area, I sat in my car and screamed ,then cried. My family thought I had gone nuts which made me cry even harder. At first, I had no idea why I was crying and then it hit me. When I was pregnant with Nora, I craved, and I mean craved these delicious bites of heaven.
As I am typing this blog post, I am crying. Ten years later. A donut started the tears that won't stop. Nora's ten year birthday is next week, June 3. I am a mess. I imagine I will be a mess through the month of June at which point things will calm until the next wave of grief rushes through me.
I have come to realize this. There is no magic pill, nothing that can be done to change this. I have come a long way since 2001. Heck, I have come a long way since last year. Grief changes year to year, month to month, second to second and all it takes is one memory, one smell, one sound, or one donut to rush it back into your life.

Things were different in the beginning. I had a sucky extended family, most refused to come to the funeral. Ten years later, these people are no longer in my life. I have a better relationship with the farmer down the road than with my own father. I have been missing him so much lately but there is nothing I can do to change that. I miss my old friends but again they backed out of my life. My grief was too powerful for the normals out there.

It has been a journey with a steep learning curve. In the beginning , I wore lots of "masks." They were hot and uncomfortable. I hated to pretend, it wasn't me. I gradually started ripping them off , refusing to wear them in public. I was a person who lost a child , I was a person who lost the ability to have more, I was a person with surviving children , a husband. I was not able to handle pregnant women, newborns, commercials with newborns, shows with newborns, the list goes on. I didn't care what people thought of me. I just wanted to be real.

Than I went back to work. The mask had to come out because society couldn't handle the real me. So, off I went. One job, two jobs, three jobs- yea I had a hard time keeping the masks on. I kept encountering people who were clueless. I felt the need to educate. I needed to make sure that I did self care, take time to cry or scream. I needed to talk about my baby, my Nora, my experience. Sure I could do it online, in the safety of forums and blogs but that wasn't good enough. I wanted the world to get it. Just freaking get it. It didn't work very well.

At the five year mark, I eventually learned how to coexist in the world and share Nora. I started to pick and choose who I share Nora with. People, new friends, co-workers had to meet a special criteria. It was a protective tool I used to guard myself, my feelings from the coldness of the world. It worked. It took so much hard work, meditation, artwork, yoga, breathing.. any tool I could use to help me through this lifelong journey of grief.

Ten years. I am different. My children are different. My husband is different. Nora is a part of our lives. We don't try so hard anymore. Nora is just my third child, she lives in our hearts. We have finely developed rituals. She is remembered on each holiday, whether it be just lighting a candle, the angel tree, or her birthday party. Her name moves freely on our lips. We laugh when we remember certain pregnancy memories. We plant gardens in her name. We do acts of kindness in her name. We cry if we need to, sometimes we even throw rocks into rivers to release anger. We are in control and we know what works for us. We remember Nora however and whenever we want , in any situation.

Ten years ago I was told that my children would be messed up because I allowed them to know their full term baby sister who was born still. This year my son, 17 , spearheaded a walk for the MISS Foundation. My son and my daughter who is now 13 have helped children and parents understand loss. My son's mission in life is to help others understand how to help the bereaved. I could not be prouder. This is Nora's legacy.

As I sit here rereading this, I realize that I am all over the place. To the reader, I apologize. This blog post is very indicative of how my grief has been. There is no set timetable, no rules, no promises of things to come. It just is and I just am. June 3 will be here and I know tears will come. We have a birthday party, share steamed crabs, eat cake and let balloons go. My incredible sister in law, my mom, my cherished pre-Nora friends, my beautiful new friends, other amazing and wonderful bereaved mommies and daddies will remember, and for that I am blessed. I will go through her stuff, her few cherished mementos and hold them. I will mourn Nora..but ten years later, I know I am a better and changed person because of her. I will never forget because I will always love her.
Only time will tell what the future will bring. I am sure as I see my oldest off at graduation, watch my daughter in her prom gown, and all the other things I won't share with Nora, more tears will come. Its only natural , its part of the grieving process.

“To spare oneself from grief at all cost can be achieved only at the price of total detachment, which excludes the ability to experience happiness.”
~Erich Fromm~

39 comments:

still life angie said...

This was exactly what I needed to read. Thank you for sharing your present. This is beautiful. You describe the integration of grief so well and I, for one, find this incredibly comforting to read. As you remember Nora on June 3rd, I will light a candle on my side of the world and remember with you. With love. Angie

Lani said...

wow, amazing post. I came here via the angie project (just finished writing mine). yours was beautiful and perfect. sending love to your family as your remember Nora on her 10th bday. lots of love, Lani

Mrs. Spit said...

Thanks for this. Remembering Nora on her 10th Birthday.

Hanen said...

Wow - thank you so much for this post. I'm so sorry you lost Nora, and I'm so sorry your extended family were so unable to support you.

You don't sound all over the place at all - you sound like you've carefully carved a space in your heart for Nora and your grief and found lots of ways to integrate remembering her into your normal family life. I'll be thinking of you & Nora on the 3rd of June.

Christine said...

Thank you all so much ... I am honored that Nora will be remembered by such amazing moms. Thank you.

Ya Chun said...

I appreciate reading your perspective. Ten years seems so close and so far for me.

Your family will be in my thoughts next week.

Missy said...

Yes yes, thank you so much for sharing this. It's comforting to hear that Nora continues to be such a big part of your family 10 years later. I light candles on the 3rd of every month. I'll light one for Nora and remember with you~

michelle hs said...

i found out xavier ian was gone on june 3, 2009. he was stillborn at 18 weeks gestation on june 4, 2009. thank you for sharing your grief journey - that is just what it is, a journey! your post has given me hope and encouragement.

Rachel said...

Here through Angie's "Right where I am" project. Thank you for sharing your journey, and your present moment. We should research where we can find you those donuts...for those days when you need them. I'll remember Nora and say her name to the Kansas winds on June 3rd.

erica said...

I'm here through Right Where I Am, too. Thanks so much for this post. I'm moved and comforted by how strong the emotions remain, and I love the way your family has incorporated Nora and her memory into their lives and work - you are all amazing.

I'll be thinking of you and Nora as her birthday approaches.

JM said...

Hi Christine,

First, I'm so sorry for your loss. Her name is beautiful.

I just wanted to say that I can relate to your post so much and I'm so proud of your son too. Wow. What a legacy. I can only hope that my own children do something similar one day.

We'll be at 10 years in 2013. We live in Australia now and there has been some discussion of going back for C.'s 10th birthday that August (which means a huge chunk of our savings will be used for the $10K in airfare). What do other families plan for trips, I wonder. Ski holidays? Disneyland? Here we talk with the kids about whether we should all go back to mark the day their sister was born.

Sigh.

TracyOC said...

Christine,

So sorry you lost Nora. I'll be thinking of you on June 3. This post feels so...accurate to me. Grief slips into my daily life at the strangest times for the strangest reasons too. I can completely relate to the misery over a donut. I mean, ten years without Nora, a son who helps others cope with loss, how hard is it for the universe to grant you a blueberry donut?
Best to you and your family.

Jeanette said...

Thank you so much for this post. Nora is a beautiful name, I will be thinking of her on 3rd June.
You have given me some hope that I can still keep doing this. Thank you. x

Hope's Mama said...

I'm here via Angie's blog and I'm so glad I stopped by. This post really did stop me in my tracks. Beautiful and heartbreaking all in the same breath.
Remembering your Nora always. As others have said, what a beautiful name.
xo

Sara said...

Blueberry donuts . . . funny where triggers come from. Thank you for this glimpse of the road ahead. I recognize the letting go of (or at least loosening the grip on) pushing people to remember. I'm working on rituals and traditions.
Thinking of you and Nora as June approaches.

Christine said...

=) I thought the same thing... a blueberry donut is really not asking much. Thank you all.. I have been touched by each of your stories..thank you for taking the time to share mine. It means so much to me.

Anonymous said...

I want to add my voice to the others: this is a wonderful, wonderful post.

I will think of Nora on June 3rd, her 10th birthday.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Barbara said...

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Thank you.

xxx

Unknown said...

Thank-you.

Catherine W said...

This is a beautiful post. I will be thinking of you and your daughter, Nora, especially as you approach her birthday.

I'm sorry about the donuts. It is strange how little things can trigger all that grief, even stranger to think that we might have no idea precisely why they hurt us so until we sit down and remember.

It was a protective tool I used to guard myself, my feelings from the coldness of the world.
This sentence took my breath away, I'm glad you have found a way to protect yourself and Nora and I'm sure it took a lot of hard work. I hope to get there myself one day.

I think your living children are extraordinary and you should be very proud of them. So much for those who said that they shouldn't have been given the opportunity to know Nora. xo

loribeth said...

Here from Angie's blog. It's great to read a post from another mom with a longer-term perspective on loss. I was especially touched by how your children have continued to remember their sister. That is so heartening. I am adding you to my blog reader & will be thinking of you & Nora later this coming week.

Tess said...

I'm here from Angie's project too - wow what at post. I find it just so heartening to hear how you and your family have grown together with Nora's memory and made such a wonderfulful legacy for her. Something I can only hope to aspire to, thank you for sharing and I'll be thinking and lighting a candle on the 3rd for Nora's 10 years

Holly said...

Wow, thank you so much for sharing this!!

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Just love you so much. Remembering and re-member-ing here, too. xoxooxooxx

brianna said...

I still have not quite learned how to take off those hot masks. I hope that I will learn to do so as you have.

Thank you for sharing the perspective of someone ten years out. I will be thinking of your Nora on her birthday.

Mary Beth said...

Yes, I can relate to this. For me it's Chocolate Underground yogurt. I can't even look at it in the store without getting a little weepy.

Your children all sound amazing. Missing Nora with you on her birthday this week, sending love.
xo

gaylebulmer said...

Thank you for sharing your story. You sound truely inspirational and so do your children. I share my grief over my Angel baby Alyce, with her old sister, and she is my rock!! She is only 13 and Alyce was born 11 years ago. I will light a candle for Nora tomorrow x Love to you x x x

Alissa said...

Hi Christine,
Thank you so much for your thoughts and words. I came here to your blog via the Right Where I Am Project not knowing who you were or what to expect. After reading your post, I feel like I have found a long-lost friend and confidante. I relate so much to your post. My first born, Kennedy Kate, has now been gone 1 year, 7 months, but so much of my life has changed since that date. Please feel free to come take a look at my blog sometime. I wonder how closely our stories connect. Sending hugs and love to you as you remember you sweet Nora.

Laine said...

Only four years on this journey, it's comforting to read your post. And knowing I'm not completely crazy and that this is how it works. Even as years passed. I remember reading your post on MISS about your son's project. Thank you. Remembering and missing Nora with you, Laine

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

You're 9.5 years ahead of me. I have no other children yet... and it's hard.

But thanks for helping me realize that I am allowed to live without discounting my son. He is part of our lives and will always be. If that's not good enough for people, it's not something I should worry about. My son and my family come first.

Thank you.

Fireflyforever said...

I'm here from Angie's project too. I hope that Nora's tenth birthday passed gently for you.

I found this post mesmerising - a helpful glimpse of the future as a bereaved mother. I loved what you said about your children. My eldest two were 6 and 4 when they came to the hospital to meet their stillborn sister. I continue to be in awe of their amazing and authentic grief and renewal too.

Melissa said...

I'm here from Angie's project. Thanks for sharing your story. It always helps to know that my feelings are normal, and also to see the hope that lies in my future. Our daughter Mikayla Grace was born and died almost a year ago and we just lost our son 6 weeks ago so needless to say this is a rough time for me, but I can relate to so much in your post. I hope that Nora's birthday last week was a peaceful one for you.

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Reading your post is so encouraging - knowing that how we are all "coping" is normal...

Virginia said...

Everything you've said here resonates with me--and I am so grateful to have a community to share the sorrow with.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. My daughter's name is Norah and she has been gone for 3 years and 7 months. I hope my children grow up to spearhead change and to be compassionate like your children.

Jessica said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. For sharing Nora. I just finished writing my post for the project too. I hope that my family will remember my babies as well as yours remembers Nora. (((hugs)))

Kate said...

Wow, what you wrote here: "It has been a journey with a steep learning curve. In the beginning , I wore lots of "masks." They were hot and uncomfortable. I hated to pretend, it wasn't me. I gradually started ripping them off , refusing to wear them in public. I was a person who lost a child , I was a person who lost the ability to have more, I was a person with surviving children , a husband. I was not able to handle pregnant women, newborns, commercials with newborns, shows with newborns, the list goes on. I didn't care what people thought of me. I just wanted to be real".
Every bit of that I can relate to. I'm sorry I found you but so glad I read this post.
I'm already exhausted by my own masks.
I hope June 3rd was kind to you.
Thanks for such honesty. And 10 years, wow. xxx

Christine said...

Thank you so much again... I am in awe of what I have read.. in awe of all of you...my whole heart to everyone. Thank you for allowing me to share Nora with you.
June 3 was kind to me... we remembered Nora, we cried, we laughed, we were, we are. Day by day.

love to all.

Maria said...

no .... you're not all over the place. You have wrote the most beautiful a painful truth.

I hope one day my living children will try and help other deal with loss and greif.....just like yours.

I hope so.

Thank you for sharing.

hugs

Maria
xxxxx